Saturday, November 5, 2011

Halfway!

I've officially gone over halfway! It's been tough navigating all the broken tree parts from the snow storm, but I am currently at the PA-MD border. I'm stopping here early in order to prepare to do the 4 state challenge; hike from PA through MD, through WV, and into VA all in one day. It will be about 44 miles, but should be fun. Nothing else for a bored, lonely SOBO to do so I'm looking forward to it. There have been very few people on the trail, although the weekend has brought out a good number including some trail maintainers cleaning up after the damage. Not many section hikers and I'm still a few days behind my thru hiking friends.
I was able to meet up with my good friends David and Patrice and their two girls in central PA. They picked me up, fed me, and let me clean up. It was a most welcome break and great to see them. Thanks again guys!
When there was snow on the ground, I got to follow some bear tracks along the trail for a while! I never saw the bear, but got to see where he veered off and got to play detective for about a mile. They seemed fairly fresh, but I'm still waiting for a bear sighting. I also treed two porcupines the next two days and they were the first ones I've seen in the wild. I didn't know they could climb trees. I'll try to post photos soon. That's all for now and I'll let you know how the "challenge" goes soon I hope!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone


Location:Ridge Rd,Carlisle,United States

No comments:

Post a Comment