Sunday, December 18, 2011

Only one state I haven't hiked in... Big G!

I'm now hiking in an area that's near the border of TN and NC.  It goes back and forth so it's tricky to know exactly where you  are at a given time.  Some parts of the trail are even the actual border!  That means left foot is in NC while the right is in TN!  Sooo crazy I know!  They have some big hills here too.  I haven't had to do multiple 1000 foot climbs in a while, but it feels good again.

I just had a birthday and for my present I got... rain all day and 40 degree weather!  But seriously, it wasn't that bad.  How come? Because ohMEGA was able to meet up with me and rescue me to Uncle Johnny's hostel AND the next day, ohMEGA, my dad, and my good buddy from college Jason were able to come join me on the trail and hike for a bit this weekend!  Awesome!  They must be crazy for wanting to come out and sleep in a shelter with mice in 20 degree weather.  I mean, seriously, who likes doing that stuff?  They must have lost their minds.  OhMEGA hooked me up with some awesome birthday sweets (which I ate greedily in the laundromat while wearing my raingear [this is what all hikers wear during laundry sessions]). Jason also hooked me up with some beer, which no bears came to pick a fight over fortunately.  OhMEGA also got me an awesome Golite down jacket so I will be able to survive the cold for the rest of the hike.  You guessed it; it's super light and yet still warm!  What more can a hiker want? It was great to hike with company and show them all how I've been living for the last few months.

Want to live a little in the life of Reboot?  Me neither, but I've been bored and made some videos for you if you're feeling like trying out being a wild, mountain person for about 4 minutes.

This was after a full day of rain and then the weather dipping into the 20's up on Chestnut knob.



Here's a video of me while I cross a stream that was flooded.  Some PG-13 language near the end (sorry about the slip up).



A big shout out to Larry, Manywaters, Dave, Steve, Otto, Sacco, and Pipe Maker for making my trip feel more like a thru hike than a solo adventure.  Conversations with fellow hikers are what makes the trail special and feel like a family.  Also thank you my buddy David's mom Ms. Lynn for sending some wickedly awesome cookies!  I could get used to this kind of diet to keeps the pounds on! Happy trails folks and if anyone else is crazy and wants to come camp out, let me know and it'd be great to meet up! Plus I need decoys for when the bears come.

Reboot and ohMEGA Christmas dressing (shoes are green!)

Jason wore out the thru hiker.  Next time go easy man, will ya?

Which way to the strip mall?

They left a trace! 500,000 of them! So much for LNT

No comments:

Post a Comment