Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Mahoosuc Notch!

Did the toughest mile of the AT with rain slick rocks was an adventure. It has been rainy and windy for most of the time since being dropped off. The first night I hiked up in a storm to a nice little stealth spot near the top and set up my tent in the rain. It was frustrating because I couldn't find my light and the stakes kept pulling out as it got darker and darker. I met up with my friend Dark 30 the next morning though and we did the Notch together.
Before the Notch though was the Mahoosuc Arm which normally just slick exposed rock but for us turned into a slick rock bedded river with small rapids. That was tough to get down and I slipped and got scrapped up some.
At the base was the famous Mahoosuc Notch which is the hardest, slowest mile of the trail. It's a giant boulder field with obstacles to scramble over and under. Tons of fun and only took us an hour and fifteen minutes with a ten min photo break. Fortunately there was a small break in the rain for that section.
Today though the rain was back and the wind kicked up. We got to the top of Goose Mtn and we got wind that must have been 60 mph. Stepped in some mud that went knee deep and it's been cold all day, but I'm loving it. Also I'm just about out of Maine!
If you want to come hike in the Whites, I'll be hopefully at Pinkham Notch on Saturday some time. Just send an e-mail to ohmega1e7@gmail.com if you're interested. Till next time, ya'll stay warm and dry you hear.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Location:Burgess St,Berlin,United States

1 comment: