Thursday, September 15, 2011

The Whites: part two

After getting dropped back off at Pinkham Notch on Sunday, I found a stealth spot off the parking lot. Aside from turning off my headlamp every time a car approached, it was a perfect alternative to the $65 for the lodge. The next day I was feeling good and pulled a 15 mile day with 4000 ft elevation gain. I summited Mt Madison and Mt Washington, but got fogged out on the latter and found out that the food stand had already closed so no hotdog for me. I was able to reach Lake of the Clouds hut and even though they were closed, they were in the process of shutting down and needed the help. I got a work for stay and had a great meal and time there.
The next day I was feeling good again and did a 19 mile day to Zealand Falls hut. It was also the first day I lost my white blaze purity status. The trail went around Mt Eisenhower but a NOBO had told me how it was one of his favorite views all trip so I blue blazed to the summit and back down. I'm now considering my hike to be an enhanced version of the AT and think it's legit since my detour was harder. The work for stay at Zealand was alright but I over ate for dinner and had a major stomach cramp. I was trying to plan my mileage, but was ahead of schedule and everything was spaced a little oddly. The next day after leaving Zealand and reaching Galehead hut at around lunch, I found my answer.
My answer came in the form of a 70 year old, grandmother of 6, with one titanium knee. Her name is Medicare Pastor as she is a retired Lutheran pastor on top of being a badass and a cyborg. She's doing her last section of the AT from Andover, ME through VT and has only 80 miles left on the PCT. Oh yeah, she did all of this since the age of 65 and with a bad knee for much of it.
Anyways, the weather forecast for Thursday was crappy with ice/snow a possibility and MP was very worried and bummed about the prospect of having to dodge a section of trail. Since my original plan was to pull into Franconia Notch on Thursday night and I was well ahead of schedule, I asked that if having me present would let her feel safe enough to go on. She said it would make the difference between bailing and going so my decision was made. I'm dialing down my miles to temporarily be MP partner to Franconia Notch and it's really not a big change of plans. It also lets me sleep in and update this thing.



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Location:Franconia Brook Trail,Lincoln,United States

No comments:

Post a Comment